Sunday, August 9, 2009

Dear Will,

Today someone other than family watched you for the first time. We left you in the nursery during church for the first time…no more snuggles in the Mei Tai during church, because quite frankly, you’re one loud little boy! You love to express your joy with life loudly. While Donnie is preaching. And although little babies squealing in delight is adorable, I’m pretty sure it’s not that conducive to studying God’s word! :) You did great and acted like an old pro when I handed you off…but it tugged at my heart just a little bit to watch you clinging on to someone other than me through the window. I’ll be honest, I had a hard time concentrating during church! I kept waiting to see my number flash up on the screen because I knew how tired you were and how hard it is to get you to sleep when you’re overtired. I knew that you were going to need your Mommy to help you fall asleep. But my number never appeared. I even had to leave during the offering to pick you up just a little bit early because I was just sure you’d be missing your Mommy. Wrong again! You were snoozing in the swing, paci in mouth and blankie in hand. It made me smile and seeing your chubby little fingers grasping your blankie so tightly made me love you a tiny bit more.

You’re getting so big, Will! You seem to learn a new skill every day. You take joy in turning off lights (our own little energy-saver!), petting the dogs, and grabbing everything within reach. Your hand-eye coordination is much improved from your newborn days. You make such a wide variety of noises that I have a hard time keeping up! You love love love reading Where the Wild Things Are and you giggle when I say, “let the wild rumpus start!” I’m sure that book will be a much loved favorite for years to come. And I’m sure you’ll create lots of wild rumpuses and that I’ll call you “wild thing” and send you to your room. :) I love the way you’ve started sucking on your bottom lip again. It accentuates your chubby cheeks and your over-sized ears and is so stinkin’ cute! I love how curious you are about everything and I especially love your “yucky” face when you get a taste of something that wasn’t quite what you were expecting (like Grannie’s ice cold water on a metal spoon or the avocado I made for you tonight). I think some of my favorite moments with you are right after you wake up from a nap. You suck your paci, clutch your blankie, snuggle deep down into my arms, and look around with your big blue eyes. Just taking it all in.

I know I’ve said it before, but I can’t get over just how lucky I am to be your Mom. I never knew I could feel this way about someone, especially someone who can’t hold a conversation with me or someone I’ve only know for four months. These last four months with you have been the best four months of my life and it’s such a delight to spend life with you. I know God has huge plans for you and I’m so excited to see your big heart chase hard after him. I pray daily that He would teach me how to be your Mommy, that He would help me shape you into the person He wants you to be.

I am so glad to have you in my life, so glad to hug you, to kiss you, to smile at you, and to live life with you and your Daddy. I love you so much, Mister!

Love,
Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment