Thursday, September 15, 2011

Instinct

Oh my, I don't ever, ever, ever want to forget this memory...I haven't laughed so hard in a long time, though unfortunately, it was at Will's expense.

Tonight around 6:00, I remembered that we were completely out of dog food, so I got Will dressed (yes, he was still in PJs and I was still in my workout clothes from this morning...unshowered. Judge if you must ;)) and we headed out to Petco. A trip to Petco of course would not be complete without walking around to see the ferrets, guinea pigs, birds, and the fish. We walked around taking our sweet time and were on our way to the checkout when I see this yellow parakeet just sitting on the shelf by the fish tanks. It shocked me at first because I wasn't expecting it, so I went up to the front to tell someone that it had gotten out of it's cage. Her response? "Oh yeah, we know. It got out earlier. It will probably take a few weeks to catch it."

Um....okay? Poor bird.

Anyway. Will really wanted to see the bird again, so we went back over to it. It was letting us get really close and I probably could have touched it had I wanted to. I didn't. Will was super interested in the bird and kept talking about it's yellow feathers and green beak (mouth to him). All of a sudden, the bird got spooked by something and flew off the shelf right toward Will's head.

And he screamed, y'all. SCREAMED! Loudly. And it was without a doubt the funniest thing I have ever witnessed before. Writing this blog, I'm laughing so hard I can hardly type and tears are running down my face. Greg has informed me several times that it must be one of those things that you have to be there to get, but I'm here to tell you that it was so, so funny. I think the reason it was so funny is that it was totally instinct to scream when he was scared. I'm not a "screamer" and I really can only think of a handful of times that I've screamed when I've been scared...but boy, he didn't hold back.

I so wish I had it on video, though I don't think it's something I'll ever forget :)

No comments:

Post a Comment